About Our School

historySt. Stephen's College was established in 1903, being Hong Kong's first EMI boarding school. Later, the College Council decided to establish a preparatory school as a feeder school to the College to complement the programme.


St. Stephen's College Preparatory School formally entered the Hong Kong education force in the year 1938. The campus, situated in Stanley peninsula, Hong Kong's most scenic area in the Southern District, comprised only one block which housed classrooms, dormitory and a dining hall. The total enrolment then was nine.


As World War II broke out, St. Stephen's was forced to stop operation. The campus was even occupied by Japanese armies and deployed as their concentration camp. Because the school is close to the shore line, which facilitates the loading and unloading of boats, it was later enlisted as the General Commanding Post of the Taiwanese troop and thus survived the war.

After the war, in 1947 the school resumed operation with two blocks: a classroom block and the other as the hall. Facilities and scale were not yet perfect.

In the fifties, a new boys' dorm was added, and in the sixties, the school even opened the boarding facilities to girls. At that time the number of pupils was about three hundred, and the class number extended from six to nine. As the majority of the pupils were from well-off families, so the school was esteemed as one of a peerage.

In 1967, riots hit Hong Kong, many pupils quit the school to emigrate with their families. Enrolment number dropped drastically and class number dropped from nine to six. The turnover rate was amazing.

In the early seventies, there was a rebounce in enrolment and the demand for places greatly increased. The school had to expand and split each grade into two classes. Up to 1983, the class number reached twelve.

In the year 2000, the School carried out reforms on the curriculum, strengthening the training of two languages and three dialects and putting emphasis on developing pupils independent thinking skills and self-motivated initiative to learn. The reform was supported by parents and demand for places started to rise, which prompted the addition of classes in September of the same year. By 2005 the number of classes was increased to 18.